First and Foremost
All submitted content must be fully owned by you, the submitter.
You must have the complete rights to the content in order to submit it.
The most important things to consider before uploading
- Make sure you own the complete rights to the content, including any necessary releases (see more below).
- Ask yourself: would someone purchase this file for commercial use?
- Only submit your best work. The more professional, intentional, and organized your portfolio, the more attractive it is to a customer.
Content types we accept
- Footage across all themes and categories
- Animations (including motion graphics, backgrounds, alpha channel effects, transitions, and lower thirds)
- Adobe After Effects and Apple Motion templates
We’re looking for commercial quality, professionally produced content.
This includes, but is not limited to, using a high quality camera (no digital point and shoots), clean lens,
sharp focus, professional lighting and exposure, professional frame composition, proper camera settings,
and proper post-production and compressing.
Refer to the section below for a full list of potential rejection reasons related to quality.
- Embed your own watermark or copyright onto your content. We encode your content with our own watermark upon submission.
Submit the same footage in multiple formats or resolutions.
4K footage, for example, will be automatically encoded into an additional high quality HD version (MOV) for purchase.
Include audio in your content, unless it is:
In most cases, content containing audio will not be accepted.
- Sound whose source is visible on screen or which is implied to be present by the action on the screen (diegetic)
- Free of noise, peaking, or any other technical element that detracts from its quality
- Free of copyrighted material, such as recognizable voices
All of the content you upload must meet the following technical criteria.
Accepted footage formats
- HD footage must be submitted as an MOV file.
4K footage may be submitted as an MOV, MP4, or raw R3D file.
We also accept a zip file that contains a R3D and RMD sidecar.
Note: if you upload an R3D file, you do not need to upload an MOV proxy in conjunction. We are able to encode the raw R3D into all necessary formats.
We do not accept footage that is visibly interlaced.
- 1280 x 720 (HD)
- 1920 x 1080 (HD)
- 3840 x 2160 (4K)
- 4096 x 2160 (4K)
- 4096 x 2304 (4K)
Accepted frame rates
In order of preference:
- Photo-JPEG (quality level between 75 and 90)
- Motion JPEG A
- Motion JPEG B
- Apple ProRes 422
- Apple ProRes 4444
- H.264 (minimum bitrate of 50,000 kbps)
Files with alpha channels must use Animation or PNG codec.
- Footage: < 60 seconds
- Animations: < 60 seconds
- Templates: < 5 minutes
Accepted file sizes
- HD: < 2 GB
- 4K: < 4 GB
- Templates: < 2GB
360 Footage Requirements
- Min. height 960 pixels
- Max. height 4096 pixels
Accepted aspect ratios
Accepted frame rates
Accepted file size
- H.265 (HEVC)
- Apple ProRes
Accepted file formats
- Minimum: 30 seconds
- Maximum: 5 minutes
Template Formatting Requirements
You must have the complete rights to all files, elements, and content submitted for a template project.
If you are including third party assets in your project file, you must have distribution rights from a commercial or exclusive license.
You may include any additional media assets that you have created yourself, such as music, artwork, photos, or video.
We do not accept preview files with watermarked audio or visual elements branded for other companies (unless it is your own company).
Upload a template as a zip file. The root folder must contain at least one .aep or .motn file, and exactly one video preview file
(this will be used to encode the previews on the site).
See the image below for a template folder structure.
The preview file must be encoded at the same frame rate as the project.
You may encode the preview file at a minimum resolution of 640x360.
You may use third party assets in your preview file, such as music, artwork, photos, or video.
Resources: Download a VideoBlocks PNG logo to use in your preview video
- Trapcode Suite (Mir, Shine, Particular, Form, Lux, Echospace, 3D Stroke, Sound Keys, Horizon, Glow)
- Element 3D
- Optical Flares
Video Copilot's License Agreement prohibits Element 3D, Optical Flares, or Twitch from being pre-rendered into stock media.
Metadata Submission Requirements
- There must be a minimum of 6 keywords (although we recommend anywhere from 15- 30).
- For our records and to give customers a more descriptive title, the Filename and Title must be different. For example, the filename and title cannot both be
Father throws Baseball to Son.mov You can change the Title to "Father throws Baseball to Son." Note the lack of file extension!
- The title must be at least 16 characters. The Title is what appears on the website, so it's always best to provide a descriptive title that faces the audience.
Any clip that depicts an identifiable person (image or voice) must include a model release. Any clip
that includes an identifiable property (such as a trademark or privately owned building or object)
must include a property release.
The exception to these requirements is when the footage meets our editorial standards.
Editorial use means use that illustrates a newsworthy event or provides commentary on subjects of
human interest (business, arts and culture, technology, etc.). Footage submitted without a release
should depict a specific subject that could be the topic of a news story or piece of commentary.
We do not accept footage that does not include a release unless the footage specifically meets our editorial standards.
Upload releases to our platform and attach them to the corresponding clip(s), either by using the web interface or by applying a CSV.
Releases are accepted in PDF, JPG, or PNG format.
Sample release forms
Content quality rejection reasons
Content that does not meet the enumerated technical specifications above will be rejected automatically.
In addition to the technical specifications, your content must meet our quality standards.
Potential reasons for rejection include:
Footage and animations
- Out of focus
- Unstable camera
- Poor composition/framing
- Poor lighting
- Poor audio quality
- Poor post-production
- Inappropriate content
- Needs release/contains trademarked elements
- Not commercially viable
- Preview contains copyrighted material
- Project file(s) contain copyrighted material
- Missing files/information
- Unorganized project
- Requires additional edits
- Preview does not match project
- Uses uncommon plug-in
If you have a question about our submission requirements, please contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org